Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wasabi









What a day it's been!! I'm back at school. Although I love my job, I need to pursue a career that will provide me with some growth, mentally, as well as, in the pocket. So, I find myself back at Wayne State taking some courses in Anatomy & Physiology, Nutrition, and Developmental Psychology. After my first class, I headed to Marwell's Book Store and dropped a whopping $580 on books!!! Now that's what I need to change careers to...something in the book business! After giving my left arm for my books, and feeling defeated before even starting the course in Anatomy & Physiology, I decided to head to the new restaurant called Wasabi for some good ol' Asian fare to cheer me up. Wasabi is nicely situated near the D.I.A. in the Park Shelton building. From the outside I didn't know what to expect and I don't know if it's just because they don't have an official sign yet, but once I was inside I was pleasantly surprised at the decor. As with many Asian restaurants, the style was simple and clean. My friend and I were attempting to be adventurous with our selections. We began our meal with the chef selection of sushi. This was three pieces of nigiri sushi---for those of you who stay away from sushi this is the one that has a ball of rice with a piece of raw fish on top. I have to admit that I have to be in the right mood to want it. We both wanted to try all of them so we attempted to bite into each piece so we could share....I do not recommend this because we looked like a bunch of idiots with rice all over the place! I have to say that they had to be one of the best places where I've had nigiri. We also ordered a appetizer of pork and vegetable dumplings. They were excellent. I'm not a huge fan of pork, but these were delicious! Because it was freezing cold outside, I decided to go with the Sansai Udon. My friend was a bit more adventurous and ordered the Vegetarian Tofu Bibimbab. This is basically a bowl of random stuff (iceburg lettuce, mushrooms, rice, vegetables, and fried tofu) and came with a squeezable hot sauce. She looked at the bowl and wondered, "What am I supposed to do with this?" The guy who seemed to be in charge, must of saw the confused face and came over to explain the dish to us. The hot sauce (which reminded me of a Asian version of ketchup) was squeezed all over the dish and then all the ingredients were mixed together. This is not for the type of person who doesn't like there foods touching! I enjoyed my noodles, but was a bit disappointed that my dish didn't provide as much excitement. Next time I'm definitely going try one of the Bibimbab, especially one that comes in a stone bowl to keep the food hot. Wasabi provided me a nice breather to calm down, and a great meal. For those reasons, I will give Wasabi four forks out of five.





No comments:

Post a Comment