Saturday, November 15, 2008

Woodbridge Pub

When I was applying to colleges I knew that it was pointless for me to apply to any university that was not in the area. Coming from a very strict family, it was simply out of the question for a young girl to go away to college..god forbid! So, I received my degrees from Wayne State University. At first I have to admit I hated it. Exchanging stories with friends who went away to school involved them telling me all about all these new friends they met at a frat party they went to the previous weekend and me telling them about the latest encounter I had with a homeless person. But, WSU grew on me. It's where I first fell in love with the city. So, I was happy to hear that a new pub was opening up near campus, Woodbridge Pub. I ventured there for the first time this past week, and decided it should be the first place I should review for this blog. We went on a Thursday night and there weren't any tables open when we arrived. I was glad to see this, and more than willing to sit at the beautiful bar. It was one of those nights that I wanted to eat like a boy...I wanted meat and beer! For some reason I was craving a burger (I think it's because I was making up for those few years I was a vegetarian!). I was happy to see that they had Ghettoblaster on tap. We tried the spinach artichoke appetizer to start off and it was decent. My friend described it as an attempt to do a healthy version of the very rich dip that we so often love...and I have to agree...I didn't feel so guilty eating it or for the fact that I ordered a cheeseburger. With any sandwich order, you are given the option of a side salad. Rumor has it that they did not have room for a fryer, so offer healthier options instead. I decided to try their very peculiar California salad, which consisted of broccoli, white raisins, peanuts, and bacon. Oddly, I really enjoyed it. My burger was a little dry, but it satisfied my carnivore craving. One of my friends had the SUB sandwich which consisted of portabella mushrooms, peppers, and caramelized onions. I took a bite out of it and was jealous I didn't order it myself. My other friend ordered a pizza. I was a bit of a mooch that night and snagged a bite of her pizza too. The alfredo sauce on it just didn't seem like it belonged on a pizza. Overall, I think the food needs some work, but I definitely can see myself going there for a drinks again. On the fork meter, I give it three forks out of five.

1 comment:

  1. The best WSU bar is Honest John's, hands down. Try the warm Vernor's + ginger schnapps on a cold winter's night and you'll agree.

    ReplyDelete