Saturday, November 22, 2008

Small Plates

I try not to eat out more than once a week. It's simply because I don't think it's healthy for my body and wallet. This week I did not stick to that. On Friday night I went to the tree lighting ceremony at Campus Martius. It was nice to see there being an effort to get people into the city. After the ceremony, we ventured to Small Plates. I'm a huge fan of tapas or small plate restaurants. One of the best meals I've had was at a tapas restaurant in Barcelona. Sometimes I simply want to try more than one selection on a menu and I think that's a great way to do so. Also, the idea of having to share plates with the table creates a close, interactive eating experience. I've been to Small Plates one other time and was not impressed with it. I left leaving not satisfied with my meal. Last night, was no different. We started off with the lettuce wraps. One of the only chain restaurants that you can find me going to is PF Chang's, and their lettuce wraps kick their ass. It tasted like they used frozen vegetable in the dish, and that's a big no-no in my book, especially when it comes to peppers and onions. We each ordered a half salad. I ordered the Caesar salad, which was completely lacking the anchovy ingredient. I tend to enjoy the traditional Caesar dressing that can be on the fishy side, but the salad at Small Plates was completely lacking any taste. To finish out our meal we shared the Garlic Shrimp Pizza. I'm a sucker for a brick oven pizza, but this one was nothing special. It definitely was garlicy and the shrimp was well done. I think they over did it with the cheese. I felt the same way as I did the first time I ate at Small Plates, it's simply not worth what you pay for. I love the concept, but they just need to work on their prices. If they are going to charge those prices, they need to work on the complexity of their dishes. They are worth two forks.

2 comments:

  1. This food sounds rubbish...let's go back to Spain. I miss Antonio or whatever that man's name was! You know, the one with the generous pocket, blue cheese and anchovy toast and the horses. Mmmm...Sangria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to one tapas style place in the US that's any good (haha - I've only been to two total and both in Michigan). The good one - San Chez in Grand Rapids, the one that leaves much to be desired - Tavern on the Square in Lansing. Tavern's food is basically right off the Sysco truck. Not old, but not so so fresh.
    San Chez, oh yes, very good. I hadn't quit eating meat yet the first time I went there and the spicy mussels were tasty as all get out. They have a lot of non-meat selections, which makes it that much more worthwhile to go back. Great atmosphere, too, and the waitstaff are always very friendly and know the menu well.

    ReplyDelete