Thursday, December 25, 2008

Battle of the Nogs!

As December is nearing an end, so is my crazy work schedule. Whatever free time I've had was used to get ready for the holidays. One of the best things about the holidays is Christmas Eve dinner. It's tradition in Italian culture to have seven fish dishes. I prefer non-land animals, so this makes for my favorite dinner. Here is a run down of all seven dishes we had this year: Seafood Salad (consisting of shrimp, calamari, scallops, and crab), Grilled Shrimp (thanks to my brother, Chef Dominic), Cocktail Shrimp, Penne with Smoked Salmon Sauce (my personal favorite of the dinner), Spaghetti with a Clam Sauce, Orange Roughy, Baccala in a Tomato Sauce (baccala is a salted cod that is popular in Italian Christmas tradition), Baccala Potato Salad (this was a new recipe that my mom learned). So, we had 8 dishes...I think it's because Italians are also supersitious and 8 were made "just in case".

Another Christmas treat I had this year was eggnog. I'm not usually a fan of eggnog, but I do enjoy about 2 oz of it from Calder's or Guernsey Dairy. Calder and Gurensey are probably two best dairy companies in the area. Calder Dairy Farms is located in Carleton, while the processes plant and ice cream parlor are in Lincoln Park. All of their cows are fed homegrown forage that is free of hormones. But, the greatest thing about them is that they continue to use glass bottles and have home delivery of their dairy products. While on the other hand, Guernesy Dairy is located in Northville and has been family-runned since the 1940s. Attached to their processing plant in Northville, you can find a restaurant and ice cream parlor. In the first of a series of Calder vs. Guernsey battles (I'm looking forward to the ice cream battle), we have eggnog! The eggnog was judged on the following things:

1. Taste


2. Being able to make me feel the pounds add on as I'm drinking it (Let's face it...you will not find eggnog on any weightloss plan)


3. Taste with rum (I had to do this test a few times because I needed to make sure that I was making juuuust the right choice)


4. Presentation (this a bit bias because I think the glass bottles that Calder's uses should count for something)


And here are the results...

On taste, I think it's a bit of a tie with a slight advantage to Calder's. I think that Calder's has more egg yolk making it a bit yellower and a bit richer. Guernsey has more spice in it, which I enjoy but overall I think Calder's has the advantage.

As for adding junk to my trunk, I think they both have helped with that this Christmas (not the mention the HUGE Christmas Eve dinner). I declare this one a tie!

The third category is also a tie...anything with rum is good!

The fourth and finally category was loaded....I love the glass bottles!

Calder's is the winner, but only by a bit. Both eggnogs are delicious, and make for a great treat for the holidays. They both get 5 forks out of 5.





No comments:

Post a Comment